We all know the health effects of smoking. Smoking cigarettes can result in a large number of health problems including lung cancer. Smoking can also cause cancer of the mouth, larynx, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, stomach, pancreas, and even some leukemias. It is estimated that 1 out of 10 of moderate smokers and close to 1 out of 5 of heavy smokers will die of lung cancer. These should be reason enough to help you quit the habit. But quitting smoking is hard to do for many people.
There are many nicotine replacement therapies out there for you to try. Some of the top choices are Zyban and Chantix (Champix). There are herbal treatments, acupuncture, hypnosis and laser treatment and always the choice of just cold turkey. The best way to quit smoking is simply any method that works for you. Everyone is different and will find a different solution for them.
Whichever method of smoking cessation you choose; here are some tips to help you butt out – for good:
- You need to WANT to quit. The decision to stop smoking has to be your decision alone. You may be pressured by family, friends, employers, government ads, but ultimately to have success it has to be your decision to WANT to quit.
- Avoid thinking that you quitting or giving up. Those are negative words. Instead, look forward to what you are gaining from not smoking anymore. For example, the money you’ll save, the taste of food, not having to endure bad weather to have a cigarette.
- Set a stop smoking date. Smoke without guilt until that stop date. Then look forward to your new lifestyle.
- Identify what makes you or triggers you to smoke. Certain places, times of day, people, etc. encourage smoking. If you can, remove the triggers from your life. If you can’t, break the routine. Find new ways to achieve the feelings or satisfaction you used to get from smoking.
- Accept that there will be problems. Every day is full of ups and downs. Realize that smoking did not fix the problems that came up in life. Use a positive outlook to get yourself out of stressful events instead of lighting up a cigarette.
- Prepare and plan on how to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Get active, drink water and eat healthy foods.
As a summary, you will need to find something that will take your mind off smoking, replace the pleasure you got from smoking and give you something to look forward to and NEVER quit trying to quit smoking.
to read the entire article go to http://sacrossfit.lifestyleezine.com